What is Christian Science?
Christian Science is the practical application of Jesus' teaching, based on the inspired word of the Bible as demonstrated by Mary Baker Eddy in her highly-effective healing and teaching work. This science is described and explained in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, a book studied with the Bible and beloved by the many people it has healed.
Who was Mary Baker Eddy?
She is remembered for many things: founding a church and an international newspaper, healing others and teaching people to heal, writing Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, but she was mainly a student of Christ Jesus and a Truth-seeker who said that we should follow her "only so far as she follows Christ".
What are the basic tenets of Christian Science?
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
Want to learn more?
Is Christian Science the same as Scientology?
No, they have nothing in common.
Is Christian Science faith healing?
No. Christian Science does not involve pleading with an anthropomorphic God to heal the sick and then accepting "His will" — good or bad. Nothing in Christian Science theology says it's Godís will that anyone suffer, be sick, or die. Christian Science shows God to be entirely good. By turning away from fear, and to Godís allness, thought changes and healing naturally follows.